Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!  Every year I make a New Years resolution to lose weight. I've been overweight all of my life.  When I was a little girl, my mom had to order my clothes from the JC Penney catalog and they were labeled "Pretty Plus".  It was embarrassing.  It was also frustrating because my friends had the "cool" clothes...the "cool" clothes didn't come in my size:(

It's very hard when I'm the only one trying in the house...and we ALL could benefit from healthier habits.  Well, this year, Bill is going to do it with me.  Bill does most of the cooking in our house, so it was hard to get home from work and see that he prepared a meal for the family and tell him, "I can't have that".  I could see the disappointment and frustration on his face. And then there was my frustration.  He knew I couldn't eat deep fried fish and french fries for dinner.  It often felt like sabotage, even though I knew that was not his intention...it sure felt that way.  Now that we are on the same page, we can support each other and motivate each other.  Our boys will benefit too!  I'm just waiting to hear their complaints that there is no ice-cream in the freezer.  Bwahhahahah.

I also have a support system with my friends.  Two of my best friends, Susan and Melissa, are on an adventure to lose weight too.  They live in Toledo and I live in Columbus.  Thank goodness for technology.  We've promised to hold each other accountable.  We can text each other every time we think of "falling off the wagon".  We are going to report our weight loss to each other every week.  All 3 of us are very competitive...look out by friends...I'm here to win.  I say that jokingly, but we are all going to win in the end.  I'm 41 years old and my body feels older than that!

Although I haven't been dedicated to posting on my blog consistently, my next New Years resolution is to do just that.  I'm hoping to get more artwork posted, but I'm also going to share the success' of our families journey to losing weight.  I'll keep you updated on Susan and Melissa too.

I know there are many people out there just like myself, Susan and Melissa.  We can do this together!  I need all the support and motivation I can get.

Starting Weight:  236--can't believe I'm posting that
Eating plan choice:  Low Carb--I've re-read the Atkins book, downloaded the carb counting app, and I've been to the grocery store.

I've just about done every diet out there.  My biggest success was 11 years ago when I lost 40 pounds in 4 months doing Atkins. I kept it off for approximately 3 years.  Then I changed jobs.  I gained the "freshman 20" in the first 6 months.  I stayed at that weight for 2 years.  I then returned to my previous company and gained the "freshman 20" in the first 6 months.  Gained the 40 pounds back.  During all this time, I've tried all kinds of eating plans.  WW works great, but for a person like me, I have to have the accountability of the meetings.  I wasn't accountable to myself to continue to go to them and eventually my eating habits were right back to where they were....and so is my weight.  Since my biggest success was lo carb, that's what we are doing.  Cutting out flour, breads, sugar etc.

Stay tuned for next Tuesday's report of our first week.

Exercise?  One thing at a time.  LOL

Thanks for listening, listening and motivating me thru this tough journey.

Jane




No comments:

Post a Comment